In many English sentences through an activity verb,the subject percreates the activity denoted by the verb.
You are watching: A transitive verb with a direct object is in the _____ voice.
These examples present that the topic is doingthe verb"s action.
Due to the fact that the subject does or "acts upon"the verb in such sentences, the sentences are sassist to be in the energetic voice.
One have the right to readjust the normal word order of manyenergetic sentences (those with a straight object) so that the topic is no much longer energetic,but is, instead, being acted upon by the verb - or passive.
Note in these examples how the subject-verbrelationship has actually changed.
Due to the fact that the topic is being "actedupon" (or is passive), such sentences are said to be in the passivevoice.
NOTE: Colorful parrots live in therainwoodlands cannot be adjusted to passive voice because the sentence does nothave a straight object.
To adjust a sentence from active to passive voice,perform the following:
1. Move the energetic sentence"sdirect object right into the sentence"s topic slot
2. Place the active sentence"s topic intoa phrase start through the preposition by
3. Add a form of the auxiliary verb beto the main verb and also readjust the main verb"s form
Due to the fact that passive voice sentences necessarily addwords and also change the normal doer-action-receiver of action direction, they may make thereader occupational harder to understand the intended definition.
As the examples listed below highlight, a sentencein energetic voice flows even more smoothly and also is less complicated to understand also thanthe same sentence in passive voice.
It is primarily preferable to usage the ACTIVEvoice.
To adjust a passive voice sentence into an activevoice sentence, simply reverse the actions presented over.
1. Move the passive sentence"stopic right into the energetic sentence"s straight object slot
2. Rerelocate the auxiliary verb be from the major verb and also change main verb"s develop if needed
3. Place the passive sentence"s object of the preplace by into the subject slot.
See more: Which Class Of Elements Best Conducts Electricity, Periodic Table Groups
Due to the fact that it is even more straight, a lot of authors favor tousage the active voice whenever before feasible.
The passive voice may be a far better option,yet, whenthe doer of the action is unrecognized, unwanted, or unneeded in the sentence