If we want to make a list of demonyms in Spanish and cover all the Spanish-speaking nations we can list some examples such as: Puerto Ricans are referred to as Puertorriqueños or Boricuas, Costa Ricans are recognize by Costa Ricans or Ticos and the Nicaraguans are Nicaraguences or Nicas. But as soon as Latinos refer to Americans, the list of Spanish words is a small even more considerable. Is gringo the just Spanish slang word for American? Of course not!
If you desire to learn how to say Amerideserve to in Spanish, take a look at this list and infographic that contains the standard Spanish terms as well as some Spanish slang words. Remember that you deserve to share or pin this infographic on Facebook and also Pinterest.
You are watching: How to say united states of america in spanish
How to say AMERICAN in Spanish according to the Royal Spanish Academy
In Spanish, often two versions of a word or expression exist: the formally embraced language which the Royal Spanish Academy (RAE) wants us to say, and the other is what we actually say. First, I’ll start via the correct Spanish term welcomed by the RAE to translate “Amerihave the right to.”
1. estadounidense (estadunidense)The Diccionario Panhispánico de Dudas by RAE claims that the correct name in Spanish you must usage to describe the world from the USA of America is estadounidense.
2. americanoHere is the idea clarification in between the demonyms americano and also estadounidense. The RAE adds that the use of the name americano have to be avoided to refer solely to the occupants of the USA. For some latinos, it might offfinish them, but for others, it is typically accpeted. “America” (and also in turn “American”) is supplied in English as an abbreviation of “USA of America.” Do not foracquire that América is the name of the whole area (North and also South America) and also americanos are all that live anywhere in the area.
3. norteamericanoAlthough it is not regarded favorably by the RAE, the word norteamericano y Norteamérica (North America) are commonly supplied by Spanish-speakers to refer to the Americans and also the United States respectively. Undoubtedly, in Spanish Norteamérica is the sub-continent that includes the countries of Mexico, United States and Canada.
How to say AMERICAN in Spanish the colloquial way
4. gringo or gringaThis is the most common Spanish slang word offered everywhere the Spanish-speaking countries. Contrary to what some world believe, this is in no means an insult. Tbelow are three theories of the beginning of this word:
a. From griego to gringoA variant of the word griego in referral to a language that can’t be interpreted, equivalent to the English saying “that’s Greek to me.” Etymology experts think that this concept is the leastern most likely beginning bereason of the number of measures that this word would certainly have taken to morph from griego to gringo.
b. From peregringo to gringoWikipedia gives us the second theory: “Instead it is asserted that gringo might derive from Caló, the language of the Romani human being of Spain, as a variant of peregringo” definition peregrine, wayfarer, and also stranger.
c. From “green go” to gringoSome various other folk theories shows that gringo came from the phrase “green go.” In Brazil it is thought that it was in recommendation to the foreigners that took amethod all the green (nature) from the Amazon. In Puerto Rico, the popular story indicates that the word came from a the demanding phrase “Environment-friendly, go!” from the locals that weren’t happy through the USA military government whose personnel used to wear green unidevelops.
Some cool colloquial phrases in Spanish that use the word gringo are:
• andar a lo gringo (Chile): going commando• gringo de agua dulce (Honduras): derogatory for a Hispanic white person through light colored eyes.• hacerse el gringo (Colombia and also Ecuador): synonym for hacerse el pendejo or to act stupid, favor a fool or idiot
5. gabacho or gabachaThis word is provided in Mexico as: a) an Amerideserve to citizen, b) the United States, c) any foreigner
6. grenchoYou will hear this word in Honduras and Guatemala.
7. yanquiThis word is typically shelp in Argentina to describe an American and also anything concerned the United States. In some parts of the neighbor country Boliusing the phrase yanqui llocalla means a reasonably young perkid who adopts the custom-mades and also actions of Americans.
8. yumaThis word is supplied in Cuba for 1) Amerihave the right to or 2) USA.
See more: Why Do Crabs Foam At The Mouth, Why Do Crabs Foam
9. yoniThis word is offered in Ecuador, Argentina and also Uruguay.
Do you know other words in Spanish for American?