Looking for all natural, buildup-free products for your locs?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOADVERTISEMENT YOUR GUIDE
Doesn’t issue if you’re going darker or lighter, coloring your locs is still a chemical service that entails an expertise of the scientific research of hair. Many type of world make of the mistake of coloring their locs utilizing box hair color and also wonder why their locs are falling out or very dry—I was once among these world. Before, and also actually in the time of Cosmetology school, I made the costly mistake of bleaching my locs imeffectively, leading to shade damage. What I, favor the majority of human being, never before taken into consideration was that using color to locs is nothing like using shade to loose organic hair.
You are watching: What kind of dye to use for dreads
So, if you think you’re all set to shade your locs, and you want to understand wright here to begin be certain that you have actually taken into consideration these 5 things…
5 Things to Consider Before Coloring Your Locs
1. Is your hair healthy and balanced enough? I would definitely recommfinish NOT coloring your locs if you are presently experiencing dryness, thinning, or breakage. There are plenty of other methods to adore your locs that won’t further deteriorate your locs. Intentionally work-related to obtain your locs healthy and also then think about coloring your locs making use of hair shade.RELATED ARTICLE: COMMON CAUSES OF THINNING LOCS
2. Have you budgeted for care? Color is not a one-time business. For instance, if you’re covering gray, you need to remember the hair growing from your scalp is now gray, which suppose, as your hair grows out it will certainly be gray. You will need to constantly, eincredibly 8-12 weeks, reapply your wanted hair color. This additionally applies to fantasy colors prefer purple, pink, blue, and/or green— these colors are not long-term and will certainly need to be refremelted to preserve the vibrancy. Furthermore, when you color your hair your regiguys (and also budget) have to now involve continual hair care treatments.
3. Are you ready for permanent care? Generally you need to percreate a hydration treatment on your locs eincredibly 3 months, or every seakid, however with color-treated hair that alters to as soon as a month (at minimum). In addition to hydration treatments, you might likewise have to incorporate protein treatments into your regiguys, particularly if your locs are blonde.
4. Do you have actually the patience to gain what you want? Many kind of of us with textured hair and/or locs have normally dark colored hair, however if you want lighter hair or a really vibrant hair color it might be a procedure. You may be looking at an extremely long process, specifically if you desire to keep the health of your locs. The alternate to skipping this “lengthy process” is the usage of bleach to get you to your wanted shade automatically. But bleach can be a gift and also a curse.
5. You have to not perform this at home! And unfortunately, not all “professionals” are produced equal. You need to take the moment to discover a experienced Colorist that specializes, or at leastern has actually endure, in coloring locs. Trust me the shade damage and breakage is NOT a cute procedure, neither is having actually to undergo a color correction:
I execute not say any kind of of this to scare you ameans from coloring your locs, yet to make sure that you are making an informed decision around the risk you are taking when you do. When you are all set to accept the risk, be mindful of the type of hair color that is being offered and constantly incorporate strengthening actions through the application. I would definitely suggest avoiding henna hair dye and also opting for hair shade that provides mircopigmentation.
See more: What Is The Best Definition Of The Term Cottage Industry ”? Cottage Industry Definition
And prior to you go, make sure to click below to join my mailing list for notification of future articles including the frequently asked “How to Do I Get Vibrant Hair Color With Locs” and “When Is The Best Time To Color My Locs?“. Thanks so a lot for reading (and sharing through friends)!