I have sizable pile of cash (around $1000) that was donated by a number of people and intended to be a gift to someone else. The problem is that, because it came from lots of people, it is mostly small US bills.

You are watching: Where to exchange large bills for small

Is there a place I can exchange it for a smaller number of larger bills? Will any bank do it, or do I need to have an account there? My own bank has no physical branches, so it isn"t an option. Is that too much for a grocery store"s customer service counter to deal with?

I"d like to avoid giving a personal check (because it would involve more work for the recipient), store-specific gift cards, or bank gift cards like Visa or American Express (because of purchase and inactivity fees).


Several options:

Banks - ask in the branches near to you if any of them would do that. They generally only service their account members, but if you smile and talk nicely to the tellers they might do that for you. It may involve some nominal commission.

See more: Waylon Jennings Quote: Let The World Call Me A Fool, But If Things

Check cashing places - they"re everywhere, and they carry large denomination bills. They will probably do that, but will likely charge a commission.



Highly active question. Earn 10 reputation (not counting the association bonus) in order to answer this question. The reputation requirement helps protect this question from spam and non-answer activity.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged united-states cash or ask your own question.


site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. rev2021.10.26.40573

Personal Finance & steustatiushistory.org Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled

Your privacy

By clicking “Accept all cookies”, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy.