Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are genuine professors, teachers, and scholars that use their academic specialization to tackle your toughest questions. Educators go through a rigorous application procedure, and eextremely answer they submit is reviewed by our in-home editorial team.
You are watching: Why does atticus defend tom robinson quote
1. In chapter nine, Atticus describes to Scout his major factor for deffinishing Tom Robinchild. Atticus tells his daughter,
The primary one is, if I didn’t I couldn’t hold up my head in town, I couldn’t recurrent this county in the legislature, I couldn’t even tell you or Jem not...
Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this answer and also thousands more. Enjoy steustatiushistory.org ad-totally free and also cancel anytime.
1. In chapter nine, Atticus describes to Scout his primary factor for deffinishing Tom Robinboy. Atticus tells his daughter,
The main one is, if I didn’t I couldn’t host up my head in tvery own, I couldn’t recurrent this county in the legislature, I couldn’t even tell you or Jem not to execute somepoint aget. (Lee, 78)
Atticus knows that the right point to perform is to defend Tom Robinchild despite the huge backlash and aftermath attached to deffinishing a babsence guy in a prejudiced society. However, Atticus is a noble individual with integrity and also refprovides to dismiss his ethical duty to safeguard an innocent, fragile male.
2. Even though Atticus realizes that he has actually no possibility of winning the case, he is willing to valiantly protect Tom in front of a racist jury. Atticus demonstrates his character and also positive outlook by informing Scout,
Ssuggest because we were licked a hundred years prior to we began is no reason for us not to try to win. (Lee, 78)
3. In chapter eleven, Atticus attempts to define to Scout why he feels compelbrought about take the Tom Robinson case. After Scout tells her father that he have to be wrong, Atticus responds by saying,
The one point that doesn’t abide by majority dominion is a person’s conscientific research. (Lee, 107)
Atticus is fundamentally telling his daughter that he must dismiss out on everyone"s opinions and also follow his conscience. Atticus is a morally upideal male, who is figured out to follow his heart and do the ideal point by deffinishing Tom regardmuch less of his neighbors" opinions.
See more: Why Do You Cry Kirk Franklin Lyrics By Kirk Franklin, Don'T Cry Lyrics By Kirk Franklin
4. As a morally upappropriate guy, Atticus additionally believes that everyone should be treated reasonably regardmuch less of their skin shade. In Atticus"s mind, Tom Robinboy has actually the right to be judged reasonably without prejudice. Following the tragic verdict, Atticus reveals his belief that everyone should be treated equally by informing his children,
There’s nothing more sickening to me than a lowgrade white guy who’ll take benefit of a Negro’s ignorance. (Lee, 224)